Sustainable futures, ‘designing for change’.
The environment comes first 1.5º is the most significant digit of our lifetime, <1.5ºdesign is the name of our practice + our response to this climate challenge. “We have 12 yrs to keep global warming less than <1.5˚ to avoid a global climate crisis, we must slash emissions by 45% before 2030” (Liveability Challenge 2019)
20% of our emissions comes from construction industry waste. We must use innovation in material design both recycled + bio-resource as a way to clean up our planet. The construction industry still lacks in efficient supply chains that use recycled waste in advanced manufacturing processes while the country’s landfill issues continue to grow.
Modulus our Resilient, Low Carbon Prefabricated Building System Completes the Loop, it is circular by design, for a circular economy. A pivotal project which boosts resilience, educates. It helps us adapt + transition to a cleaner future.
Modulus grew from sensing a gap in the market for a clean simple affordable modular building system using new green technology. Approximately 40% of the world’s population live in the Tropics, Modulus offers environmentally sustainable building solutions for
healthy living, mould free + flood resilient buildings. Our mission to utilize + respond to current waste mountains while researching + adopting new bioresources.
BENEFITS OF BIOCOMPOSITE ARCHITECTURE
1) Advanced manufacturing
• In house production creates cleaner + safer off site manufacturing.
• Upskilling a regional workforce, especially indigenous communities.
2) Waste reduction + prevention
• Cross sector collaboration links: Agriculture, Recycling, Manufacturing + Architecture, turning waste streams + raw bio resources into buildings.
3) Zero emitting structures
• Clean, enclosed manufacturing reduces emissions.
• The prefabrication process runs on less power.
• Lightweight building forms reduce: production, transportation + construction emissions.
4) Reduced Energy consumption
• Recyclable thermoset buildings
• Closed loop production (using circular economic
principles) saves on material, energy and overall costs.
5) Reduced lifecycle costs:
• Reduced installation, repair & lifecycle time = lower costs.
• Low rate of mechanical property deterioration + repairability = longer lifespan.
• Lightweight = easy handling, transport + construction.
• No corrosion therefore improved durability.
• Low smoke emission & toxicity.
• High thermal insulation.
3rd year – 5 units
• Saves 5 tons PET from landfill
• Saves 5 tons Bio-materials
• 5 tons CO2 sequestration
• Saving in bills – $6,500/ year
• Saving in operational emissions – 34 CO2 tons/year
4th year – 100 Units
• Saves 100 tons of PET from landfill
• 100 tons CO2 sequestration.
• Saving in bills – $130,000/ year
• Saving in operational emissions – 640 CO2 tons/year
5th year – 500 Units
• Saves 500 tons of PET
• 500 tons CO2 sequestration.
• Saving in bills – $650,000/ year
• Saving in operational emissions – 3200 CO2 tons/year
• CO2 saving equals to annual sequestration of 37 hectares of tropical forest
• A 200m2 building Unit use 1 ton of rPET
• A 200m2 building Unit use 1 ton of Bio-materials (Mycelium, hemp, wood shavings, bagasse)
• 1 ton of bio-materials can sequestrate 500 kg-1,000 kg CO2 from the atmosphere. (dependant on the dry weight – Hemp + mycelium resectivly)
Average Energy consumption of a House pa:
• Gas $ 1,600pa + Electricity $ 1,000pa
• Equal to 6000 kWh and 40,000 MJ.
• We can half this with enhance insulation + PV system will reduce the bills by 50%.